Tea at Trianon Forum
Always be polite. Courtesy is required of you.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Tea at Trianon Forum
Always be polite. Courtesy is required of you.
Tea at Trianon Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tea with the Queen
Latest topics
» Looking for a good book about Madame Elisabeth
Life Issues in America EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 5:43 pm by Elena

» Recognition by the Church of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette
Life Issues in America EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 5:38 pm by Elena

» Reposts: In Praise of Monarchy!
Life Issues in America EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 10:20 pm by ViveHenriV

» Remembering Louis XVI
Life Issues in America EmptyWed Jan 22, 2020 10:04 am by ViveHenriV

» Mass for Louis XVI on live video
Life Issues in America EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 6:10 pm by ViveHenriV

» Judges 17:6
Life Issues in America EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 11:29 pm by ViveHenriV

» War in the Vendée/Guerre de Vendée
Life Issues in America EmptyThu Jan 09, 2020 4:37 pm by ViveHenriV

» The Comte de Chambord (Henri V)
Life Issues in America EmptySun Jan 05, 2020 5:24 pm by ViveHenriV

» Reflection: Les Membres et L'Estomac
Life Issues in America EmptySun Jan 05, 2020 2:35 am by ViveHenriV

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 253 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:06 am
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Tea at Trianon Forum on your social bookmarking website

Banner art courtesy of The Graphics Fairy.

Life Issues in America

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Life Issues in America Empty Life Issues in America

Post  May Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:00 pm

May
May

http://crossoflaeken.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Life Issues in America Empty Re: Life Issues in America

Post  Mata Hari Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:40 am

Fantastic!! cheers
Mata Hari
Mata Hari

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mata_Hari

Back to top Go down

Life Issues in America Empty Sterilization in North Carolina

Post  Elena Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Eugenics in America. This is horrifying. What a Face

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/07/8640744-victims-speak-out-about-north-carolina-sterilization-program-which-targeted-women-young-girls-and-blacks

To quote:
Elaine Riddick was 13 years old when she got pregnant after being raped by a neighbor in Winfall, N.C., in 1967. The state ordered that immediately after giving birth, she should be sterilized. Doctors cut and tied off her fallopian tubes.

“I have to carry these scars with me. I have to live with this for the rest of my life,” she said.

Riddick was never told what was happening. “Got to the hospital and they put me in a room and that’s all I remember, that’s all I remember,” she said. “When I woke up, I woke up with bandages on my stomach.”

Riddick’s records reveal that a five-person state eugenics board in Raleigh had approved a recommendation that she be sterilized. The records label Riddick as “feebleminded” and “promiscuous.” They said her schoolwork was poor and that she “does not get along well with others.”

“I was raped by a perpetrator [who was never charged] and then I was raped by the state of North Carolina. They took something from me both times,” she said. “The state of North Carolina, they took something so dearly from me, something that was God given.”

It wouldn’t be until Riddick was 19, married and wanting more children, that she’d learn she was incapable of having any more babies. A doctor in New York where she was living at the time told her that she’d been sterilized.

“Butchered. The doctor used that word… I didn’t understand what she meant when she said I had been butchered,” Riddick said.

North Carolina was one of 31 states to have a government run eugenics program. By the 1960s, tens of thousands of Americans were sterilized as a result of these programs.

Eugenics was a scientific theory that grew in popularity during the 1920s. Eugenicists believed that poverty, promiscuity and alcoholism were traits that were inherited. To eliminate those society ills and improve society’s gene pool, proponents of the theory argued that those that exhibited the traits should be sterilized. Some of America’s wealthiest citizens of the time were eugenicists including Dr. Clarence Gamble of the Procter and Gamble fortune and James Hanes of the hosiery company. Hanes helped found the Human Betterment League which promoted the cause of eugenicists.

It began as a way to control welfare spending on poor white women and men, but over time, North Carolina shifted focus, targeting more women and more blacks than whites. A third of the sterilizations performed in North Carolina were done on girls under the age of 18. Some were as young as nine years old.
Elena
Elena
Admin

http://www.emvidal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  May Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:24 am

The sterilization programs and the targeting of minorities are discussed at length in the documentary 'Maafa21'. It is a film which perhaps overstates its case on some issues, but is nonetheless interesting and chilling.
May
May

Back to top Go down

Post  Mata Hari Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Thank you, I will have to see that.
Mata Hari
Mata Hari

Back to top Go down

Post  May Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:09 am

http://abortionstate.blogspot.com/2008/03/prince-philippe-of-belgium-pays-visit.html
On the morning of Saturday March 8, about 15 people, including Sarah Schaper, were praying in front of the Planned Parenthood on E. Madison St. in Seattle. Some of those praying held signs which said, "God Loves You and Your Baby”, "Stop Abortion", and "I Regret My Abortion." One sign was a picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

A Yellow Cab stopped in front of the vigil attendees. A lady got out of the back seat. She asked for permission to take Sarah’s photo. Two men got out of the cab and photographed others in the group.

The lady told Sarah, "We have a prince." Prince Philippe, the crown prince of Belgium, introduced himself, took a photo of Sarah and said, “God bless you.”

May God bless Prince Philippe and his family!
May
May

Back to top Go down

Post  princess garnet Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Matterhorn, could you post this on your "Cross of Laeken" blog? I'm glad it got royal attention! Very Happy

princess garnet

Back to top Go down

Post  May Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Certainly, Princess Garnet. In fact, it has already been posted there:
http://crossoflaeken.blogspot.com/2011/05/duke-of-brabant-pays-visit-to-seattle.html
May
May

Back to top Go down

Post  Elena Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:17 pm

This is a fabulous article by Mary Kochan:
http://catholiclane.com/if-you-can-be-dismembered-without-due-process-whats-a-little-detention/

The National Defense Authorization Act is probably something you never heard of before the last few weeks of 2011, even though some iteration or other of this federal law has been enacted every year for the past 49 years. Right as Advent was starting, the Act (full name: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, hereinafter NDAA) was passed by Congress and subsequently signed into law on December 31 by President Obama. It specifies the budget and expenditures of the Department of Defense for the coming year.

So why the brouhaha over it this year?

Because in amongst salary for servicemen and women, and dollars for large metal things that explode and the larger metal things that tote them around, was a provision for dealing expediently with those on American soil who threaten our national security.

Now you might have thought that we already have legal provisions to deal with such persons. And we do. But such legal provisions are often inconvenient for the government because they come with certain legal, constitutional restrictions on the government’s power. Things like the requirement that detainees be charged with a crime and be given a legal hearing before a judge and have legal counsel.

The Bush administration found these requirements too onerous to apply to “combatants” and “terrorists” picked up in the field of battle overseas and that is why some men have been held for years in Guantanamo without yet having had a hearing. Remember all that discussion during the Bush years about whether “enemy combatants” who were foreign nationals were “entitled to the same constitutional protections as American citizens”? Remember the shellacking Obama gave Bush over those due process issues? Before he became president, that is.

Well here is a novel way to get rid of the question of whether foreign nationals picked up in the field of battle are “entitled to the same constitutional protections as American citizens” – just get rid of those pesky constitutional protections of American citizens! How? Simply declare that the field of battle now encompasses the entire country. Then give the government the right to hold anyone, citizen or not, in indefinite detention. The NDAA Sections 1021 & 1022 allows the president to authorize the military to arrest and hold you – American citizen — indefinitely in a military facility without charges.

I would like to bring your attention to the remarks in this video of Douglas Macgregor (Retired) US Army Colonel that begin at 3:15: “Whenever you suspend due process, which in effect suspends the rule of law, you walk down a very dangerous path…. What worries me is that we will end up creating categories of people who are then subject to arbitrary arrest….”

While I am more than sympathetic to the outrage over NDAA and fully applaud the efforts of Ron Paul to nullify the odious provisions in it, I think all of the wailing over the loss of due process is misplaced. NDAA did not suddenly strip Americans of their due process rights in 2012, Roe v Wade did nearly four decades ago.

Precedent is not the Issue; Principle is

In the confirmation hearings for justices Roberts and Scalia, much was made of the concept of stare decisis i.e. that courts should generally abide by precedents and not disturb settled matters. A proper respect for the legal principle of stare decisis was demanded of George W. Bush’s appointees to the Supreme Court and we all know what that really was questioning not in so many words: Will you respect the precedent of Roe v Wade and not be complicit in overturning it?

This is what comes of allowing the culture of death to control the conversation about the law. We gradually lose even the language we need to properly address the realities under which we are living. Instead of focusing on the question of precedence, it would have been much more instructive to have focused the attention of the American people on the legal principle/s that undergirded Roe v Wade.

Even when we try to talk about the foundations of Roe v Wade, we find ourselves stuck in a very odd place — questioning a right to privacy, a right we all really think exists but that is stigmatized by its association with another notorious decision Griswold v. Connecticut, which found laws banning the selling of contraceptives to be a violation of the “right to marital privacy.” We all think there is some “right to privacy” regardless of how “penumbral” it might be to the Constitution. Do we have the “right” to use our privacy to commit a moral wrong? That depends on if we are talking about moral rights or legal rights, doesn’t it? No one can claim a moral right to do wrong. But can we even imagine what kind of system we would live under where every moral wrong, regardless of how private, was the subject of some legal sanction? It would be Panopticon with mind-reading power thrown in for good measure.

Trying to untangle Roe v Wade by picking up the thread of privacy and trailing it back to Griswold is an effort in futility that loses arguments, hearts, and minds. But talking “due process” – there we have both currency and interest.

Can I use my right to privacy to deprive you of your money? No. We call that extortion. What about depriving you of your possessions? No. We call that theft or robbery. What about your liberty? No. We call that kidnapping or unlawful confinement. What about your life? No. We call that murder. (Read entire post: http://catholiclane.com/if-you-can-be-dismembered-without-due-process-whats-a-little-detention/)
Elena
Elena
Admin

Back to top Go down

Life Issues in America Empty March for Life 2012

Post  Elena Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Some pictures from The Crescat.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/thecrescat/2012/01/reflecting-on-the-march-for-life-2012.html

I have some pictures my husband took at the March for Life in Washington, DC where he helped Teresa Tomeo and the EWTN crew.

Life Issues in America 408134_10150628512415961_732060960_11499126_739297659_n

Life Issues in America 397139_10150627653490961_732060960_11496028_756028401_n
Brother Leo and Damon Owens

Life Issues in America 402568_10150538105097114_296799537113_8759497_1547768264_n
The CBN correspondent interviewing Teresa Tomeo

Life Issues in America 407465_318642781514326_100001058195109_951685_520732754_n
Elena
Elena
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princess garnet Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks for these! The March got some (limited) local coverage here.

princess garnet

Back to top Go down

Life Issues in America Empty The Collapse of American Morality

Post  Elena Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:37 pm

An insightful article by a Brit.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2012/01/27/five-reasons-why-americas-moral-consensus-has-collapsed/

There is uproar in the US right now. Political blogger Sheila Liaugminas reports that the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) in the Obama administration has announced that it will be mandatory for all employers to provide their employees with health insurance policies for contraceptive services, including sterilisation and drugs that are abortifacient.

This means that hundreds of religious colleges, hospitals, school and charities will now be required to provide insurance coverage for their employees for practices they believe to be wrong and which are contrary to their beliefs.

The Obama administration refuses to exempt religious institutions from this mandate, only offering a one-year delay in some cases. It could have allowed the traditional exemption clause – a ‘conscience clause’ – for religious organisations but has refused to do so. Catholic relief services and charities alone employ 70,000 people. If Notre Dame University were to drop its insurance coverage for its 5,229 employees the penalty that the HHS would impose would amount to $10 million a year. As Liaugminas points out, the irony is that Kathleen Sebelius, secretary to the HHS, is a Catholic; so is Joe Biden, the Vice-President.

All this, albeit on a much bigger scale, sounds eerily familiar. Remember the fight the Catholic adoption agencies had in this country against same-sex adoption during Tony Blair’s premiership? The agencies either closed down or, more usually, caved in. So what is now happening in America does not come as a surprise. What is surprising though is the size and variety of the protests against the HHS mandate; it has united liberal and conservative Catholics, people of other faiths and people of no faith at all, as they realise that a fundamental tenet of the American constitution – freedom of conscience in religion – is being deliberately overthrown.

Michael Voris of RealCatholicTV.com offers an interesting commentary on this current battle in the US. He asks what has brought about the collapse of more than two hundred years of a Christian moral consensus and gives five reasons:

Conservative Americans have for decades been more concerned with politics and economics rather than with defending fundamental moral values.

From the 1960s onwards the entertainment media, rather than family, school, parish or church, became the arbiter and shaper of public views and attitudes.

The courts and the legal system have gradually reflected the views of the new liberal and secular electorate.

Conservatives tend to comply with the law rather than rebel against it; they obey rather than protest.

Finally, Voris notes, Christians of all denominations have gradually abandoned traditional moral teaching. Contraception has become completely acceptable in the Protestant churches and in the Catholic Church her wise warning about the separation of sex from procreation has been largely ignored by the Catholic faithful. In America we now see the result; what Christians chose to regard simply and casually as a matter of individual choice is now, in the workplace and in the relationship between employer and employee, being forced on them by law.

All this reminds one of an obvious truth: if we are not permanently vigilant in defence of our fundamental beliefs, they will be swept away from under our feet.
Elena
Elena
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  May Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:03 am

I was at the March for Life for the first time this year! I have some pictures on my cell phone; I'll see if there is some way of getting them on my computer and then posting them here.
May
May

Back to top Go down

Post  Elena Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:11 am

Please do!! We would love to see them!!
Elena
Elena
Admin

Back to top Go down

Life Issues in America Empty Pro-Life is Prettier

Post  Julygirl Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:16 am

This is a cute post from Katrina Fernandez.
http://www.patheos.com/Resources/Additional-Resources/Pro-Life-Is-Prettier-Katrina-Fernandez-01-27-2012.html

Let me clear, I'm not talking about the beauty of youth. The beauty I am referring to transcends age. Yes, there were a lot of attractive young people at the March for Life. The majority of attendants were high school and college-aged. However, there were huge numbers of adults there too. Priests and nuns of every age, parents, chaperones, school administrators, parish personnel—you name it. The passion that drove them to stand out in freezing rain for hours on end transformed their faces into an angelic beauty. These were the faces of people who knew they were supporting a just and noble cause. The March for Life was as much about ending abortion in our country as it was about celebrating life.
Julygirl
Julygirl

Back to top Go down

Post  May Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:21 pm

Elena wrote:Please do!! We would love to see them!!
Yes, I will try to find a way.

I had the pleasure of meeting Lila Rose. She is delightful!
May
May

Back to top Go down

Post  May Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:38 am

Here you can watch the Students for Life of America Conference, from January 22, 2012, online:

www.sflalive.org

Included is an outstanding talk by Stephanie Gray of the Canadian Centre for Bioethical Reform:

www.unmaskingchoice.ca
May
May

Back to top Go down

Post  Julygirl Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Very inspiring. What do you think of the latest mess with the HHS? Question
Julygirl
Julygirl

Back to top Go down

Post  May Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:51 am

Isn't it awful?! They want us all with our hands in blood.
May
May

Back to top Go down

Life Issues in America Empty The 98% Deception

Post  Elena Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:09 pm

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=fb7qjtdab&v=001fHRgY6J0lNPrf17HtVtDe8H9mWVpRtExgcISCaJ9743_N8zt_nxNnRi7gyyIOjfuERKQ4tzbmr8L6xTRi09PQI10UrJaOwe-8QSfPwG1sOFRZ0Jm6AZRTikzTEp6k-af04DVgf_ecXfbQEx6gQgSyw%3D%3D
(Stafford, VA) -- For weeks now, the White House and mainstream media have repeated ad nauseam a claim that, in direct violation of Catholic teaching, 98 percent of Catholics use contraception. However, American Life League says the statistic is fatally flawed and any real analysis of the contrived number is glaring by its absence from media reports. Guttmacher, an organization founded by and still closely aligned with Planned Parenthood, issued the controversial report.

"The report says 'data for the report come from the 2006-2008 National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG)' yet, somehow this fantastical number appears just when Obama's war on Catholics needs some ammunition," said Judie Brown, president of ALL. "Buried near the very end of the report it notes: '[Questions about] contraceptive use [were] restricted to women at risk for unintended pregnancy, whom we define as those who had had sex in the three months prior to the survey and were not pregnant, postpartum or trying to get pregnant.' A practicing Catholic woman does not consider herself 'at risk' for pregnancy. This definition distorts the results by purposely eliminating all orthodox Catholic women as well as all those who had not had sex within 90 days of the survey."

ALL points out other statistical contradictions as well. For example, on page four, the report claims that 98 percent of "sexually experienced Catholic women" use contraceptives. But on page five, the report also states "11 percent of [Catholic] women at risk for unintended pregnancy are not using contraceptives." ALL maintains that the White House and media intentionally ignore such red flags and contradictions in the report for propaganda purposes.

"The question is not whether or not Catholic women contracept, when they do so, or how many of them there are. Rather, does any of this change either the moral teaching of the Church or the Constitutional rights of the Church or individual Catholics?" asked Brown. "Clearly, the answer to that question is no."
Elena
Elena
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mata Hari Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:14 pm

More from Judie Brown. A review of her new book.
http://laudemgloriae.blogspot.com/2012/03/broken-path-by-judie-brown_05.html

The Broken Path, by Judie Brown
The Broken Path: How Catholic Bishops Got Lost in the Weeds of American Politics, Judie Brown

The American bishops are to be commended for standing up to the Obama administration and refusing to accept the so-called compromise regarding the HHS mandate. It remains the case, however, that had this bold leadership been on display many years ago, we would never have been forced to deal with this battle in the first place. Years and years of silence (and in some cases outright dissent on the part of some clergy) on the issue of contraception have led to the vast majority of Catholics today not only using birth control, but not even knowing the Church's teaching on this issue, such that it is seen as a quaint and even ridiculous thing that the Catholic Church should be so outraged at being forced to provide access to contraception through its insurers. The fact that the majority of American bishops did very little in the last election to oppose Obama played a large part in helping secure office for the man who is now clearly an enemy of the Church.

Well-known pro-life leader Judie Brown has written a book about how we got here--and it pulls no punches. There are so many salient, quotable parts of this book it's hard to know where to begin. She begins by clarifying that her book is not intended to pass judgment on anyone's soul, but rather to take an honest look at some of the actions of the hierarchy that have contributed to today's crisis.

The problems didn't begin only recently; one can see the roots of today's crisis in Pope Leo XIII's 1899 warning against Americanism, a heresy that would place certain American ideals over that of the Magisterium. Fast forward a century later, and we find the Holy Father's words fulfilled: we have an American Church infested with Americanism. Other problems include homosexuality allowed to run rampant in the priesthood for too long, and heresy being taught for years in American seminaries. Pope John Paul II began the long turn back, and the current Holy Father is continuing the reverse.

The USCCB has also played its part. Recall the Call to Action conference of 1976, supported by the bishops, which became "a gathering point for Catholic groups and theologians who take issue with Catholic teaching and are committed to misrepresenting the essence of Catholicism whenever the opportunity presents itself."

The various committees of the USCCB have also undertaken shocking actions to scandalize the faithful. For example, she cites Bishop Howard Hubbard, chair of the USCCB's International Justice and Peace Committee, who approved the 2010 initiative of diocesan Catholic Charities to distribute free needles to drug abusers in order to prevent the spread of AIDS.

Catholic Charities has also played a role in the current crisis. An arm of the USCCB, Catholic Charities received a $100 million disaster relief grant from the federal government after it pandered to the Obama administration.

Then there is the Safe Environment office of the USCCB, created in response to the sex abuse crisis. Teresa Kettelkamp, executive director of this office, once served as adviser to the militantly pro-abortion group Feminist Majority Foundation's National Center for Women and Policing. Safe Environment's mandatory VIRTUS program, which is meant to educate children on how to protect themselves from sexual abuse, has been controversial because of the sensitive material of a sexual nature that its young watchers are exposed to. Despite national outcry by concerned parents and even some bishops, the USCCB continues to mandate that every diocese implement the VIRTUS program.

Finally, one cannot complete the discussion without mention of the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, which has been mired in controversy once it was discovered that hundreds of thousands of dollars in grant money from this arm of the USCCB went to local programs that promote abortion, contraception, or the homosexual lifestyle.

These are only a few things Judie Brown highlights in her discussion of how the Church has gotten to where it is today. A cure cannot be found without first diagnosing the problem. After Ms. Brown lays out the problems, she provides suggestions as to the solution:

-Take the opportunity to discuss concerns with your priest and bishop, and always in a spirit of charity.

-Teach those around you what it means to be truly Catholic through word and deed.

-Pray for priests.

She closes the book with this prayer for clergy, which we would do well to pray on a regular basis:

O God, who hast appointed Thine only-begotten Son to be the eternal High Priest for the glory of Thy Majesty and the salvation of mankind; grant that they whom He hath chosen to be His ministers and the stewards of His mysteries, may be found faithful in the fulfillment of the ministry which they have received. Through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.

I highly recommend this enlightening and readable book.
Mata Hari
Mata Hari

Back to top Go down

Life Issues in America Empty Women Challenging the HHS mandate

Post  Elena Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

Elena
Elena
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  May Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Here is the website of Iowan Melissa Ohden, a wife, mother, social worker and pro-life speaker. Above all, she is a beautiful, courageous woman of deep Christian faith. She is the survivor of a failed saline abortion and a true "voice for the voiceless".

www.melissaohden.com
May
May

Back to top Go down

Post  Elena Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 pm

http://blog.catholicwritersguild.com/2012/03/stephanie-mann-on-the-hhs.html

CWG Member Stephanie Mann recently spoke at Discerning Hearts about the connection between the English Reformation and the struggle for religious freedom in the face of the current HHS mandates.

The wonderfully intrepid Stephanie Mann joins us once again to discuss “Supremacy and Survival: HowStephanie Mann IP#143 Stephanie Mann Supremacy and Survival on Inside the Pages Catholic Endured the English Reformation”. The lessons of the past have much to teach us today, especially those experienced in England during the times of the Tudors and Stuarts. Religious liberty was the issue then, and is the issue today in many places throughout the world…even in the U.S. It’s not just about freedom of speech, it’s about the freedom of religion. What will they be writing about 500 years from now about the Catholics in America? Interesting…
Elena
Elena
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  May Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:05 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2130643/I-terrified-Id-inherit-fathers-evil-streak-Daughter-given-adoption-discovered-conceived-rape.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

An article, with some beautiful pictures, about pro-life speaker and attorney Rebecca Kiessling, who was conceived in rape.
May
May

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next