Tea at Trianon Forum
Always be polite. Courtesy is required of you.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Tea at Trianon Forum
Always be polite. Courtesy is required of you.
Tea at Trianon Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tea with the Queen
Latest topics
» Looking for a good book about Madame Elisabeth
Funeral of Marie Therese  EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 5:43 pm by Elena

» Recognition by the Church of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette
Funeral of Marie Therese  EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 5:38 pm by Elena

» Reposts: In Praise of Monarchy!
Funeral of Marie Therese  EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 10:20 pm by ViveHenriV

» Remembering Louis XVI
Funeral of Marie Therese  EmptyWed Jan 22, 2020 10:04 am by ViveHenriV

» Mass for Louis XVI on live video
Funeral of Marie Therese  EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 6:10 pm by ViveHenriV

» Judges 17:6
Funeral of Marie Therese  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 11:29 pm by ViveHenriV

» War in the Vendée/Guerre de Vendée
Funeral of Marie Therese  EmptyThu Jan 09, 2020 4:37 pm by ViveHenriV

» The Comte de Chambord (Henri V)
Funeral of Marie Therese  EmptySun Jan 05, 2020 5:24 pm by ViveHenriV

» Reflection: Les Membres et L'Estomac
Funeral of Marie Therese  EmptySun Jan 05, 2020 2:35 am by ViveHenriV

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 253 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:06 am
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Tea at Trianon Forum on your social bookmarking website

Banner art courtesy of The Graphics Fairy.

Funeral of Marie Therese

2 posters

Go down

Funeral of Marie Therese  Empty Funeral of Marie Therese

Post  Roanoke2014 Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Did Marie Therese have a large royal funeral? I'm aware that she was living in exile but that didn't change who she was. She was living in Austria where her cousin was Emperor. It just seems that it would have been a nationally attended funeral.

Roanoke2014

Back to top Go down

Funeral of Marie Therese  Empty Re: Funeral of Marie Therese

Post  Elena Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:08 pm

I have never heard of her having a large state funeral. Her niece and nephew were present of course, and their families and attendants. She was buried in a monastery in Slovenia where Charles X and Louis-Antoine were buried. Later, Henri and Louise would be buried there as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kostanjevica_Monastery
Elena
Elena
Admin

http://www.emvidal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Elena Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:11 am

Here is a copy of her will: http://vivelareine.tumblr.com/post/101537526209 She asks for no "solemn service."

In the name of the Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Ghost … I submit in all things to the will of Providence. I do not fear death; and, lacking merit of my own, I place all my trust in the mercy of God, praying of him for time and grace to receive the sacraments of the Church with fervent piety …

I die in the Roman Catholic and Apostolic religion, in which I have lived as faithfully as I had power, and to which I owe all the consolations of my life.

… After the example of my parents, I pardon, with my entire soul, and without exception, all those who have injured or offended me; sincerely praying God to extend to them His mercy, and to me also, for the pardon of my sins. To all the faithful French who have remained attached to my family and to myself, I leave thanks for the devotedness, the sufferings, and the penalties they have endured in our cause.

I pray God to shower down his blessings upon France—France, that I have never ceased to love even under my bitterest afflictions.

I thank the Emperor of Austria for the asylum which he accorded in his dominions to me and my family. I am grateful for the proofs of interest and friendship which I have received from the imperial family, especially under circumstances of deep sorrow; and not less so for the sentiments manifested by a great number of his subjects, more especially the inhabitants of Goritz …

Having always considered my nephew Henri and my niece Louisa as my children, I give them my maternal benediction. They have had the happiness of being educated in our holy religion: may they continue in fidelity to it, worthy decedents of St. Louis.

May my nephew consecrate his happy faculties to the accomplishment of the great duties imposed on him by his position! May he never wander from the paths of moderation, of justice, and of truth!

I institute my nephew Henri my universal legatee. It is my wish that my remains be deposited at Goritz, in the vault of the Franciscans, between those of my husband and his father.

Let no solemn service be celebrated on my account. All that I desire are masses for the salvation of my soul.

Translation: Filia dolorosa: memoirs of Marie Thérèse Charlotte, duchess of Angoulême by Isabella Frances Romer and Dr. John Doran. 1853.
Elena
Elena
Admin

http://www.emvidal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum