Tea at Trianon Forum
Always be polite. Courtesy is required of you.
Tea with the Queen
Latest topics
» There are three times to drink tea
Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:47 am by janet11

» gone with the wind
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:31 am by janet11

» how to make tea
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:08 am by janet11

» Great Catherine
Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 am by janet11

» Problem with Russian monarchy today
Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:46 am by janet11

» Book recommendations
Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:29 am by janet11

» The dog in the hotel
Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 am by janet11

» Hope you would smile when you saw it
Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:10 am by janet11

» my work date
Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:32 am by janet11

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 70 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:35 pm
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Tea at Trianon Forum on your social bookmarking website

Banner art courtesy of The Graphics Fairy.

Louis XI, King of France

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Louis XI, King of France

Post  Susan Abernethy on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:16 am

King Louis XI’s administration and consolidation of his kingdom and his flair for diplomacy earned him the sobriquet of “the Prudent”. But his favorite pastimes were plotting and conspiracy. He even earned the names “Cunning” and “Universal Spider” due to the webs of intrigue he would spin around Europe. It seems he was never happier than when he was planning his next scheme.

Click on the link below to read about Louis' webs of intrigue:

http://thefreelancehistorywriter.com/2013/06/13/louis-xi-king-of-france/
Susan Abernethy

View user profile http://thefreelancehistorywriter.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Louis XI, King of France

Post  Bunnies on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Oh, yes! The Spider King! I kept meaning to read Kendall's biography on him back when I was having another one of my Richard III kicks --- and then I didn't. I've always admired him, though. Anyone who tries to keep their nation out of unnecessary wars with diplomacy gets an A+ stamp from me.

But re: his contemporaneous stature with Richard III, it's always troubled me how the Ricardians as a whole have tended to castigate him. I've mentioned before that defending Antoinette from slander by slandering other people is hypocritical at best and the same principle holds true here. Worth's Richard trilogy contains an almost demonic Spider King, who is unhygienic and sadistic to boot. Poor guy; that doesn't seem quite accurate, to me...
Bunnies

View user profile http://bunniesandbeheadings.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

King Louis XI

Post  Susan Abernethy on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:25 am

My dear Bunnies:

I agree with you about the slanders of King Louis XI.  The nobles were confounded by Louis' behavior.  He just didn't act like a king should!  This might be where the rumors got started.

As for Kendall's book, I highly recommend it!  I bought a used copy of the book a long time ago and it sat on my shelf.  When I started doing some research on Isabel of Portugal and needed info on Charles the Bold, I pulled the book off my shelf and started reading it.  I couldn't put it down!  There are mounds of chronicles from Louis' reign.  He made sure of that.  So Kendall uses direct information from the time.  It is so well written and I enjoyed it very much.  He makes me wish I could have met Louis.  He talks about his wonderful sense of humor.  He seemed like he was very energetic and smart.

Anyway, so glad you read the post and liked it.  I'm going to write another post about the battle of Montl'hery.  Kendall quotes a chronicler about the battle and it's riveting.

Regards,  Susan
Susan Abernethy

View user profile http://thefreelancehistorywriter.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Louis XI, King of France

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top